Thursday 17 April 2014

Evaluation Question 6


6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt many new skills and developed knowledge of camera work, features and editing software's, including Blogger. 

Tripod: 
The tripod helped me create a still shot without any movements which can occur while the camera is hand held. The tripod allowed me to take shots that I was unable to reach otherwise and helped me take some decent shots of different scenes. However, for some of the shots the tripod wasn't long enough to be able to get the perfect shot and it wasn't possible to use it for some of the shots I needed as the tripod wouldn't have been able to sit in certain places. 

Camera: 
I used a professional Canon Camera which produced good quality visuals however they were very dark. Using the camera I learnt different skills such as adjusting the focus depending on whether you want a blurry shot or a really clear shot. I did this by turning the lens in front of the camera. The camera was light in weight and easy to use. This was an advantage as we didn't have to do as many retakes of shots. The camera had a really smooth zoom and it was fast when zooming in, zoom out, which gave us the opportunity to get close up shots from further away. The camera lens was wide which meant there was more mise-en-scene in the shot. The disadvantages of the cameras were that the batteries kept running out which interrupted the filming process and delayed the schedule.

Final Cut Express: 
Final Cut Express is the software I used to edit my thriller opening. I had never used this program before doing the preliminary tasks in preparation for editing the final thriller. I had to learn most of what I know now as I was editing my thriller footage. I'm really glad that I know how to use Final Cut now, as now I could edit any footage given to me and add different effects such as cropping, adding text/audio, slow motion, colour correction and I can also import and export without any guidance. 

Final cut has really helped me understand important editing is as it can change the perspective of things and can build suspense just by doing lots of cross cuts one after the other. This is one of the examples of my editing process where I chose to fade out the music at the end of my footage. I have also included effects such as fast forwarding and rewinding which I have taken a screen shot of to show the sound.

LiveType: I used LiveType to create my titles for my opening. I found it really easy to use as it was basic picking, choosing and exporting. First i tried to use After Affects however I couldn't understand how I could use it so i tried LiveType and i found it much more easier for me to use. 

Youtube:  I used this website to find other thriller openings to get some ideas as well as to use trailers for inspiration from other films. Youtube was a great help to me as it was really easy to upload my rough edit and final edits to and then embed them onto my blog.

Blogger: I had never used Blogger before starting my media course. I enjoyed changing the layouts and I learnt very quickly how to embed different features such as pictures and videos on my blog which once I knew how to do allowed me to become more creative with it.

Google: I used Google for all of my research on genre and sub-genres, theorists, and conventions. I did a lot of in-depth research to find out about thrillers that have been released, producers, distributors and budgets. 

Art of The Title: I used Art of The Title to find out about how professional openings are supposed to look. I researched and analysed different openings to find out how long the openings usually are and how long the titles appear on screen for in order to produce a professional looking thriller. The order the titles and the presentation of them gave me a clear image in my head of what needed to be done. I found this website extremely helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment