Friday, 18 April 2014

Evaluation Question 7

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

In this task we were trying to get some continuity so that our shots would flow from one to another. This can also be called invisible editing. We also attempted something called match on action which is the cut between two shots without it looking like time has passed between the two shots taken. This is important when continuing the flow of a scene.

We used the 180 degree rule which was whilst we were having a conversation.

This rule involves using a shot and reverse shot to capture both the characters in the scene and focus on one of them at a time. I felt that this task really helpoed me develop my skills needed for creating my own thriller. It was quite difficult as I had never actually filmed something entirely on my own so filming my own thrilller was definitely a challenge. However, the preliminary tasks were really helpful in preparation.

This is an example of my use of match on action.

Camera Shots & Camera Angles

In our last lesson, we filmed ourselves experimenting with different shots and angles. We then had to put the video together using 'Final Cut Express' and then did a rough edit of the video adding text to describe what kind of shot it was. 

Here is the video I created:

We worked as a group in order to create different scenarios by filming from different angles and using different shots to best represent what is happening. This really helped me develop my understanding of the best ways to film and it gave me a chance to be creative with my ideas as the teacher wasn't advising us and we were left to produce the footage alone. This really built my confidence with filming and was great preparation for filming the thriller.

My preliminary task didn't have a genre so I was simply just practicing filming before I researched into thrillers and started planning for my opening. My shots have improved by quality and the flow of the shot, also making sure no rules are broken. In one of my preliminary tasks, I broke the 180 degree rule and the continuity was not as good as it didn't flow however, I feel that with my final thriller I am now able to film vey well. 

m my preliminary I learnt that continuity is really important as it'll put the audience off the narrative and focus on the poor filming/editing - which could lead to disappointment. I learnt how to use 'over the shoulder' shots and tracking shots - On top of that I learnt that the sound track can really affect and change the view of the audience. The sound track built suspense and made the preliminary more tense than what it is without the sound track. I also learnt how to work with the camera and the tripod more, being able to keep the camera steady for a neat outcome.  

My thriller opening needed effective work and effort in the mise-en-scene as it needs to create a mood and scene so that the audience can relate and connect themselves with the movie more. Where as in my preliminary we did not think about what could of ruined and effected the genre. The lighting was more thought through in my final thriller opening as in the preliminary we used the original lighting with no editing included.

If I compare my preliminary shot and my thriller opening shot I can tell the difference between the quality and lighting however, my final thriller opening is better because the lighting suits my narrative.
For my opening thriller I thought about making shadows to symbolise the main character being a protagonist. In my preliminary the sun light behind the character means that she doesn't stand out enough. 

In my preliminary there wasn't much editing involved, however in my final thriller opening I had many different editing techniques involved such as fade in fade out, cross fades, soundtrack and volume changes. It was a lot more complicated but you can really see the quality difference between the two. I feel more confident using the equipment, software's and websites as I have a wider knowledge about what they are, how they work and what they do.

This preliminary task was the last one I did before filming my own thriller. I thought it very useful in building my knowledge of what shots work best and understanding what makes a good film opening as we did our best to copy the original. I think this was the most successful preliminary task I have done and I found it the most beneficial as it related more to my actual thriller task. I also had to do a lot of editing with this footage which was really helpful as I began to learn new things which I was able to use when it came to editing my actual thriller.

Was my thriller successful or not?

I think my final thriller opening is a success as I believe it has met the criteria for the task. The genre is clear to the audience and the soundtrack matches the visuals. I've used different camera angle shots to develop the narrative with continuity. I have done a lot of research towards opening titles, and I believe my titles are clear, simple, of a decent size and they appear on screen for the right length of time so they can be read (at least 4 seconds). They're all in the right order and flow with the visuals. My use of editing has helped build the narrative and therefore, I think I have really improved since my preliminary project. From editing to filming different shots, I have a better understanding of media today than I did when I first started the course. I have more confidence in editing and using different software's. I have a more in depth knowledge of films and I am proud to say I have improved a great deal and would like to develop my skills even further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment